Tomato Basil Bruschetta
There are hundreds of variations on this popular appetizer and rightly so because this recipe is extremely adaptable and easy to make. This is a simple version that uses Roma tomatoes, fresh basil, red onions, a little olive oil and vinegar. Sometimes simple works best and in this case anything else would be too much.
4 Roma tomatoes (diced)
2 tbsp. Red onion (fine dice)
2 tbsp. Fresh basil (finely minced)
4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp. White balsamic vinegar
Salt & Black pepper to taste
1 French Baguette
1) Use a sharp knife to cut the Roma tomatoes in halves and then in quarters. Save the skin and remove the seeds and pulp. Roma tomatoes work best for this recipe because the skins are much thicker with less seeds and pulp.
2) Dice the tomatoes. Put tomatoes, diced red onion, white balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, in a bowl and mix. Add the chopped basil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3) Cut 12 slices of the French baguette on a diagonal about ¼ inch thick. Brush each slice with olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. Toast them on the top rack in the oven at 350F for 5 – 6 minutes or until lightly browned.
4) Spoon the Tomato Basil mixture unto the baguette and garnish with parmesan cheese.
5) To avoid the bread becoming soggy make bruschetta a few minutes before serving. Makes 12 Tomato Basil Bruschetta