Picked Saltfish and Marinated Tomatoes
½ lb Saltfish
2 Roma Tomatoes
¼ Red Onion
8 sprigs Parsley
1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper
3 tbsp Sherry Vinegar
3 tbsp Coconut Oil
6 tbsp Canola Oil
Pinch of salt if necessary
Soak saltfish in water overnight, this removes most of the salt from the cured fish.
Cut the tomatoes in halves. Remove the seeds and cut julienne. Do the same for the cucumber, cut in half, remove the seeds and slice into half rounds.
- Pick the parsley from the stems and rough chop
- Use ¼ of a red onion and cut julienne
- Cut ¼ of a scotch bonnet pepper into rounds
- Toss tomatoes, cucumber, onion, parsley together.
- Fry the whole pieces of saltfish in the canola oil about four minutes on each side until crisp.
- Add the coconut oil to the saute pan.
- Next add the scotch bonnet pepper, then the vinegar.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Flake the saltfish and pour the oil and vinegar mixture over the cucumber and tomatoes.
- Add the flaked saltfish to the salad, taste and season with a pinch of salt if necessary.